Sunday, August 19, 2012

Why I am a Find-A-Grave Volunteer

I have been surveying cemeteries for 10 years now. I love to go out to the old family cemeteries that no one knows about. A friend of mine gave me directions to a cemetery way out in the woods that he thought I might be interested in. I went out there yesterday to take a look. This small cemetery is not maintained and is in deplorable condition. I found 11 marked graves but there were several more marked with fieldstones and two that had pedestals but the markers themselves were missing. I found a Georgia State Senator buried out there along with two confederate soldiers. They have been totally forgotten. What a shame.

I can't stress enough just how important it is to capture this information before it is lost forever. Please consider becoming a Find-A-Grave volunteer, especially if you live in a rural area.

In Memory
OF
HON. JOSEPH ADKINS
Senator of 19th District
of Georgia
Born Feb. 5th 1815,
Died May 10th
1869,
Aged 54 Years, 3 Months
& 5 Days.
May he rest in peace, and may we
meet in Heaven, there to dwell
forever with God.


Copyright © 2012 Michele Simmons Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment