Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Oh Woe is Me!

Yesterday was not a fun day for me. I spent hours (yes hours) cleaning out my desk, filing cabinets and bookshelves as well as all the piled up stuff around my desk. I get so wrapped up with doing research that things just start piling up. I was going to take some before and after photos but I was a bit too embarrassed. I had at least 10 reference books on the floor around my desk. I refer to them so often that I don't bother putting them back on the shelves. I had a one inch thick pile of documents that I have already analyzed and put in sheet protectors but hadn't filed in my binders. I had an overflowing inbox of new information that I haven't even had a chance to look at yet. Keeping your stuff organized is essential and I have a hard time with that. When I am pursuing a hot lead, everything else gets shoved to the side. The problem is, I usually jump from hot lead to hot lead and never stop long enough to get all my stuff back in order. It finally got to the point where even I couldn't put it off any longer so I didn't research anything at all yesterday. I am in the middle of a research project for a client with two more clients lined up and it was really hard for me to take a day off.

So my advice for the day is, don't let it get this bad before you put stuff where it belongs!


Copyright © 2012 Michele Simmons Lewis

4 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to dig out long enough to post. :) Sounds exciting to have all of that new info to go through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going through the new stuff does hold my interest but having to put away all of he old stuff usually doesn't :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you been poking around in my family room/office? You sound exactly like me! I'm trying to get in the habit of regular blogging, but am "stuck" at my next one because I cannot find my "John" file folder with information I need to continue. He may have to be put at the bottom of the list for now. And yes, cleaning up my stacks of papers & books is on my "to-do" list for the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just glad to know that I am not the only one :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete