Friday, October 12, 2012

Formal Education

Doris and Marina both ask:
"What genealogy classes do you recommend?"

I received my formal education in 2001 through Brigham Young University's Independent Study Program. Unfortunately, they no longer offer these courses. There are some other good programs out there though.

National Genealogical Society's [NGS] Family History Skills. This one is a very basic overview course that is available to members of the NGS only. This course is a freebie and if you are a member of the NGS you really should take advantage of it.

National Genealogical Society's American Genealogy Home Study Course. I have heard nothing but great things about this program. I have ordered it myself so I can go through it as a refresher/update. You can never get enough education. There is a discount if you are a member of the NGS.

If you want a VERY comprehensive program take a look at Boston University's Genealogical Research Program. This one is geared to those that want to pursue genealogy as a profession. If I had the money I would do this one in a heartbeat. If anyone out there wants to pay my tuition just let me know. This one has college credit attached to it.

The American Certificate in Genealogical Studies is another very comprehensive program. You can take complete courses of study or individual classes (those will be mentioned on tomorrow's post on continuing education).

I want to mention the Pro Gen Study Group even though this is not really geared for beginners. The focus of the group is rather unique. The group studies the book Professional Genealogy, A Manual for Researchers, Writers, Editors, Lecturers and Librarians by Elizabeth Shown Mills. This book is essential (in my opinion) for anyone contemplating genealogy as a profession. The Pro Gen Study group goes through this book chapter by chapter and there are assignments to complete. The groups are mentored by a certified genealogist. There is a waiting list.

Tomorrow I will list some continuing education opportunities after you have the basics under your belt.


Copyright © 2012 Michele Simmons Lewis

2 comments: