Friday, November 9, 2012

Code of Ethics

Public Service Announcement: I received several emails yesterday about the International Genealogical Index (IGI) post asking me if I could post an actual Patron Ordinance Submission Sheet. I will ask the Family History Library (FHL) for permission to use one on the blog. If they say I can, I will block out the submitter's personal information so that you can see what one looks like.


I would like you to read 3 Codes of Ethics. The are actually aimed at professional genealogists that do research for other people but I think these principles are good for ALL researchers. If you ever need to hire a researcher to help you out, you should hold them to these standards even if they don't belong to one of these organizations. Personally, I would only hire someone that does belong to one of these groups.

1) Association of Professional Genealogists (APG) Code of Ethics
2) Board for the Certification of Genealogists (BCG) Code of Ethics
3) The International Commission for the Accreditation of Professional Genealogists (ICAPGen) Code of Ethics

The National Genealogical Society (NGS) has Genealogical Standards and Guidelines that you should also read. They are excellent. You do not have to be a member of the NGS to read these but I highly recommend that you join. If you want more information about WHY you should join take a look at Why Should I Join a Genealogical Society?


Copyright © 2012 Michele Simmons Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment