Saturday, December 29, 2012

My New Adventure

As you know by now, I am always looking for ways to make me a better researcher. Learning opportunities abound if you are willing to take advantage of them.

I am part of the ProGen 18 Study Group which will be underway on January 1st. What is ProGen? It is an 18 month intensive study of the book Professional Genealogy, A Manual for Researchers, Writers, Editors, Lecturers and Librarians. Eighteen months you say! This book is 654 pages long and is of such a nature to require this amount of time. This is a study group/class with writing assignments all along the way that your fellow classmates critique.

I signed up to be a group leader (you knew I would) because I want to get the most out of this opportunity. I am in the 18th group to go through the process. There is a waiting list to get in and I waited for quite a long time to have my turn.

If you are an intermediate to advanced researcher, this is something you really need to think about doing. You can read more at the ProGen website.


Copyright © 2012 Michele Simmons Lewis

6 comments:

  1. I shall be interested to hear how this goes. Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. We had our group leaders' chat on Friday which went well. The first chat with the entire group will be on 1st. We will be getting our first assignment then :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michele, good luck with the group! I'm curious how long you had to wait on the list. I plan on completing my Home Study Course in June, and want to start ProGen shortly thereafter. When would you recommend I put my name on the list?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was on the waiting list two times. The first time I pulled my name because of other commitments. This time I think I was on there for 4 months. It would have been longer but they started two groups at the same time, Progen 18 and Progen 19. I would go ahead and get on the waiting list. If they start another group before you are done with the HSC you will only have a short period of overlap. I am the 2nd CD of the HSC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in ProGen 14 and it has been a fabulous experience! And a lot of work but worth it. Congrats on taking the plunge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 18 months seems like a long time but I know it will go by fast.

    ReplyDelete