Saturday, December 8, 2012

ObitMessenger

Public Service Announcement: If you read yesterday's blog post you know that I was a little bit upset. Because of that I forgot to mention the importance of yesterday's date. Seventy-one years ago yesterday, the naval base at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii was attacked by the Imperial Japanese Navy. More than 2400 Americans were killed and more than 1200 more were wounded. I am a nurse and I see death all the time but I can't even imagine what 2400+ deaths looks like. I hope that this country never forgets the sacrifices that have been made by our men and women in uniform. I salute all of the men and women in our armed forces, past and present.

 



ObitMessenger is a FREE service from Legacy.com. You can sign up to receive links to obituaries posted in most of the current newspapers available. You can use this MAP to see if the newspapers you are interested are listed. They also cover newspapers in Canada, the UK, Australia, Bermuda and New Zealand. You can check for papers in these countries HERE. I have obit links sent to me from several Mississippi newspapers. They are sent once a day in a single email. When I see a familiar surname I click on the link and read the full obituary. I can't tell you how many relatives I have found this way.

Here is a screenshot of what the emails look like. You can click on the image for a little better view. When you see someone of interest all you have to do is click on their name for the full obituary.

Courtesy of Legacy.com, used with permission


This is a great way to keep a watch on the hometown newspapers. It is a lot easier and quicker than going to each newspaper's homepage to read the obits every day.


Copyright © 2012 Michele Simmons Lewis

2 comments: