Sunday, December 2, 2012

Old Stuff

I was born in Germany and I love all things German. From time to time I troll Ebay looking for old German books. I wanted to show you a couple of things I picked up.

The first is a primer for writing old German script (Sütterlin) dated 1901. My mother was born in 1934 and she was one of the last to learn this in school before the English style of writing was adopted.


The second is a cookbook dated 1896. The special thing about this cookbook is that it was loaded with handwritten recipes on scraps of paper, newspaper clippings and personal notes written throughout the book.


The reason I am telling you all of this is to tell you that you can find many things of genealogical importance on eBay. You will find old documents, letters and family Bibles. I certainly can't buy everything I find on eBay but I always hope that these treasures end up in the hands of genealogists that will realize their importance and take care of them accordingly. Estate sales and flea markets also hold many of these treasures. I was at a flea market once when I found a box of personal correspondence from the the early 1900s. I almost felt intrusive reading these personal letters but then I thought who else would preserve them? It really made me sad to know that these letters had been relegated to a flea market. I encourage you to take a look at eBay and the like once in a while to see what you can save.

Copyright © 2012 Michele Simmons Lewis

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for preserving those keep sakes. Too bad there was no family to do that. I've told my kids that I will come back to haunt them if they let the family documents and pictures end up in garage sales!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will probably will everything I have to a genealogical society or the Family History Library.

    ReplyDelete