Monday, January 28, 2013

Citing Your Sources Resources

I want to give you a few of resources to help you learn how to cite your sources properly.  You can read my first post The Basics of Citing Your Sources to get the background info.  Yesterday I mentioned Tom Jones’ excellent seminar Seeing the Forest AND the Trees (and Their Leaves): Mastering the Craft of Genealogical Documentation and I want to expand on that a bit.  If you are intimidated by Elizabeth Shown Mill’s book Evidence Explained:Citing History Sources from Artifacts to Cyberspace then Tom’s webinar is for you.  He explains the process of citing your sources better than anyone else I have heard.  You will understand WHY you cite things the way you do and Mills’ book will make so much more sense to you and you will realize its value. 

I have a couple of other resources that will help you with Evidence Explained:

Evidence Explained Homepage:  Everything you ever wanted to know about the book is here including some preview pages, reviews, quick check models, FAQs etc.

On this page you will also find the Evidence Explained Forums. There are three boards, Citation Issues, Evidence Analysis Issues and Record Usage and Interpretation.  Elizabeth Shown Mills herself frequents the boards as well as many other very experienced researchers.  If you have a question related to one of these three categories you will get an answer.

If you “’like” Evidence Explained's Facebook Page you will see daily posting that include all kinds of helpful hints, questions answered and quizzes you can participate in.

Here are a couple of helpful courses (FREE) from FamilySearch:

I Want to Learn More About Sourcing – This is a beginner class that gives you a great start.

ICAPGen Mentoring Class: Citing Sources – This class is specifically for people seeking accreditation through ICAPGen but this class has a lot of good info that is helpful to anyone.

Another place you can get your citation questions answered is the Transitional Genealogists Forum.  This is a Rootsweb mailing list.  There are several certified genealogists on the list that are more than happy to answer questions.

Please don’t be intimidated by citing your sources.  The more you learn about it the easier it gets and It will soon became an automatic part of your routine. 

Copyright © 2013 Michele Simmons Lewis

4 comments:

  1. I'm not very good at citing - I just have a general list of the my sources at the end of my family histories but they aren't properly cited. So I'm definitely bookmarking this! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the first few years I did research I didn't cite my sources. I paid for that mistake many times over :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post. A new book is coming out that I am looking forward to reading. Mastering Genealogical Proof by Thomas W. Jones, PhD, CG, CGL, FASG, FNGS. As a unique textbook on genealogical methods and reasoning in the twenty-first century, Mastering Genealogical Proof guides readers in acquiring genealogical skills transcending chronological, ethnic, geopolitical, and religious boundaries. Dr. Jones, a noted writer, lecturer, and editor in the field of genealogy, explains and develops the level of proof that is appropriate to genealogy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wrote about the book the other day! I pre-ordered mine as soon as I could and I received it a week ago Friday.

    Here are the related blog posts:

    Have you ordered your book yet? http://ancestoring.blogspot.com/2013/04/have-you-ordered-your-book-yet.html

    Mastering Genealogical Proof Study Group with Dear Myrtle http://ancestoring.blogspot.com/2013/05/mastering-genealogical-proof-study.html

    Spotlight - Thomas W. Jones http://ancestoring.blogspot.com/2013/01/spotlightthomas-w-jones.html

    ReplyDelete