Friday, January 4, 2013

Downton Abbey

Today at 12:30 pm I will be going to a Downton Abbey party at the Euchee Creek Library in Grovetown, Georgia. We will be watching the last episode of Season 2 together and then we will be having tea with finger sandwiches and biscuits (cookies). Very British!

So what does this have to do with genealogy? Not much really other than to say I wish I could link my family tree to the aristocracy. Royal lines have been documented by the best of the best genealogists for hundreds of years so if you can tap into that you have hit pay dirt. The royal watchers document everything including the lineages of the illegitimate offspring which gives us serfs more of a chance. Ah, what I wouldn't give to be able to say I can trace my line back to Henry the VIII or Louis the XIV. Another advantage of linking into one of the royal families is that their lives tended to be full of controversy and intrigue which makes good reading.

In the meantime, I guess I will be content watching Season 3 of Downtown Abbey.


Copyright © 2013 Michele Simmons Lewis

6 comments:

  1. Oops, check the spelling of Abbey in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn it! I fixed it once but I guess the changes didn't save when I hit the upload button! I just fixed it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are several books by Gary Boyd Roberts you can check to see if any of your immigrant ancestors had royal lines. You might be pleasantly surprised. I found two! The best book is "The Royal Descents of 600 Immigrants", and his other book is "Notable Kin". Or David Faris, "Plantagenet Ancestry of Seventeenth-Century Colonists"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not seen those book (but you can bet I will look for them!) My biggest problem is not having enough immigrants. Many of my lines brickwall in colonial times. I am having a problem with names that are just too common to differentiate them. On my mother's side, I have the potential for greater success since she is German (I was born in Germany as a matter of fact). I am back to the early 1700s in Prussia and Alsace. I haven't put as much effort in these lines as I should. I can read German no problem but the old script is much harder for me and time consuming so being the procrastinator that I am, I put it off :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michele,
    Are you familiar with the Sacramento German Genealogy Society? I joined a few years ago for their quarterly -48 pages/issue -- (no chance of my ever getting to Sacramento!). Check them out at
    http://SGGS.us

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of them but I am looking at their website now. I see a link that I am very interested in that I haven't seen before. Kartenmeister. It is a German/Prussian/Polish gazetteer which I can always use! They have been around for a long time so they much be a pretty successful group.

    ReplyDelete