Thursday, January 31, 2013

Pumpkin Center, Georgia

002

I live in Pumpkin Center, Georgia.  Unless you live in Columbia County you have probably never heard of it (and many people in Columbia County haven’t heard of it either).  Its only claim to fame is that it sits at a crossroads of two highways and there is a convenience store so that you can gas up and wet your whistle before you continue your journey. It sits one mile south of I20 and many people go this way.  I am not sure what the population is but I would guess around 200.  We aren’t even big enough to have made it onto Google Maps though the store did.  

I had so much fun taking these photographs because several people stopped to say hello.  I have been taking photos in this area for ten years now and most people know who I am though usually they find my car and not me.  I park my car on the side of the road with a sign in the window that says, “I’m out looking at a few graves, be right back.”  I don’t want the deputies worrying about me.  I used to drive an electric blue pickup truck that had quite the reputation.  No one knew my name but they knew the “cemetery lady” drove the blue truck.  People would be waiting by the truck for my return so they could tell me about some old graves they knew about.   Today I got some quizzical looks because they aren’t used to me taking photos of street signs.  Sorry the photos are so dark but it was getting ready to storm.

Here is the famous Pumpkin Center Store
006

 

Here is the crossroads.  We even have a caution light!
T
his is facing west towards Thomson.
007

 

Going north
005

 

Going south
004

 

Going east
008

 

Going west
003

 

Copyright © 2013 Michele Simmons Lewis

8 comments:

  1. I love this! This is exactly the type of town we live in and are looking for if we decide to relocate to TN. Not to get off topic but any suggestions for TN with a town just like this and in the mountains? I am hoping someone reading this comment will have some advice. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am partial to Roan Mountain, TN. It is a bigger than Pumpkin Center but not too much :) It is right in the mountains and if you go above where Roan Mountain State Park is, it is actually high enough to be in a different climate zone and they get a lot of snow. There is a whole book written about Roan Mountain because it has a very interesting past. Look for Roan Mountain, A Passage of Time by Jennifer Bauer Laughlin :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. Marking my map up right now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you are known as the cemetery lady. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is pretty cool :) I have had people volunteer to go out with me just to protect me :) Some of these cemeteries are 1/2 to 2 miles off of the roadway. I have lots of redneck friends with guns :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Papa Jordan would take me the Dewey Moore's Store as it was called then and I know there were at least 2 buildings, 1 was the store and I guess the other was like a warehouse or something. Anyway behing the 2nd one was a covered area with I think, chicken wire for the walls and Mr. Moore had monkeys in there and I always thought that it was the neatest thing to stop and feed the monkeys!! My Papa Jordan died just a few months after I turned 7 years old so that has been many years ago.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know that! No monkeys in the story anymore unless you include my children who stop on a regular basis for a coke :)

    ReplyDelete