Monday, January 7, 2013

Your E-Mail Address

If you do a Google search on the email address of miclew@ij.net you will find a lot of posts on Rootsweb mailing lists and Rootsweb message boards dating back to 2000. Miclew@ij.net was my email address about 10 email addresses ago. We were living in Florida then. Since then we moved to Georgia, then to Maine, then back to Georgia, changing email addresses several times along the way. Where I live in Georgia there is no DSL so I have a cable modem. The cable company was bought out 3 times within a 2 year span of time causing me to change my email address again and again. I finally figured out that this was stupid. How are people supposed to find me when I post messages on genealogy message boards if my email address keeps changing. One of the best things I ever did was get a permanent Gmail account for all of my genealogy correspondence. As a matter of fact, I don't even have a email address through my ISP anymore. You can have as many Gmail accounts that you want (or Yahoo or Hotmail, whatever) and you don't have to worry about having to change them. I use this same email address for every genealogist website I use, every genealogy mailing list I am on and for all of my genealogy business and correspondence. I configured my Gmail so that it works in Outlook so I don't have to go to the Gmail website to read my mail. I can't even tell that I am using a "web based" email address.

From time to time I do Google searches on my old email addresses (the ones I can remember) and I try to post an updated address but I just can't find every one of them. I wonder just how many messages I have missed because someone couldn't find me.


Copyright © 2013 Michele Simmons Lewis

2 comments:

  1. Great tip! I recently noticed a reply to a request I'd I posted eight years ago had been added to a WEB site but I hadn't been notified because of an old e-mail address that I used while stationed in Japan. I then started updating some of my postings with my current gmail address. I've also written to WEB site managers who posted some of my old research asking them to make changes. Unfortunately I don't seem to get much response to these requests and my old trees that are no longer accurate still sits on these WEB site with my old e-mail address. Any ideas on how to get those updated?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was able to get my email address updated on USGenWeb (all of my old cemetery surveys) but had ZERO luck with genealogy.com (message boards). I emailed them and they told me that they had no way to merge the separate email addresses. As far as private web pages, that will be a hit or miss. You can't force them to update :(

    ReplyDelete