Thursday, February 21, 2013

A Day of Truths

Two things came across my computer today that really sum up a lot of what I preach here on the blog.  The first is a cartoon by Deidre Erin Denton of Twisted Twigs on Gnarled Branches.

Twisted

Copyright © 2013 Twisted Twigs on Gnarled Branches, used with permission
 

The second is a quote from Laurel T. Baty, CG [used with permission]
“I can always see how much I have grown as a genealogist when I go back and revisit previous research!”
Tomorrow I will be answering a question from a blog reader that illustrates both of these two points perfectly so stay tuned!

Copyright © 2013 Michele Simmons Lewis

3 comments:

  1. I agree, Michele! When I go back and look at some of the research I did B.I. (before internet), I'm appalled. No citations or anything. I'm glad to have access (now) to educational opportunities online to help me grow as a genealogist.

    P.S. Congrats on finishing your last NGS-HSC lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Jenny :) I have TWO genealogy databases on my computer, the old one and the right one :) I keep all of my old research available. As I re-research people and correct errors, they get to go into the "right" database :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. The NGS-HSC was a great refresher/continuing ed opportunity. One area where I am weak is passenger lists/naturalization records because I have no immigrants! I am a first generation immigrant along with my mother so that side is all in Germany since forever. On my dad's side (an American) all of his lines were here before the Rev. War so I have no experience with these records. Needless to say, that was my favorite lesson and I learned a lot.

    ReplyDelete