Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Who is Green B. Gordon?

I have no idea!  I am doing some research into Simmons land records in Perry County, Mississippi and I found this: 

Patent to “Green B. Gordon, assignee of James Simmons,” Credit Volume Patents, Volume 117, page 555, 01 September 1824, Mississippi and Alabama General Land Office, Bureau of Land Management (http://glorecords.blm.gov); 160.12 acres. NW1/4, Section 33, Township 5N, Range 11W.

Patent to “James Simmons, assignee of Green B. Gordon,” Credit Volume Patents, Volume 136, page 318, 01 January 1849, Mississippi and Alabama General Land Office, Bureau of Land Management (http://glorecords.blm.gov); 354.0 acres. S1/2, Section 11, Township 4N, Range 13W.

These are two distinct pieces of property (not adjacent).  The second patent was after James Simmons, Sr. had died so it could possibly be James Simmons, Jr.  This is the first time I have seen Green B. Gordon’s name on any Perry County document or any document associated with this Simmons line.

This is one of those Collateral Lines type of projects.  I need to find out who Green B. Gordon was.  Obviously there was some tie between the two men.  I have already ordered the land entry files for both patents and I am pretty excited about this.  If you want to know more about land entry files and their importance then read Land Patents and Land Entry Files.  I also need to do a family group sheet on Mr. Gordon.  I need to know who his parents were, who his wife was and who his children were.  One possibility is that one of James’ daughters married one of Green’s sons.  I don’t have all of James’ children identified yet so this is something I need to think about.

Collateral line research is especially important in this family because the Perry County Courthouse burned in 1877 with a complete records loss.


Copyright © 2013 Michele Simmons Lewis

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michele,
    Have you searched for Green's name to be Greenberry or Greenbury? That the B. part is the Berry or Bury part of his full name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a couple of private trees on Ancestry that have him as Green Berry Gordon but I haven't heard back from them yet. I have a couple of Greenberry's in my file so the thought had crossed my mind. I haven't had any time to work on this yet because I have so many other projects going at the moment but Green has not been forgotten, merely put on hold :)

    ReplyDelete