Monday, March 4, 2013

Questions About Research Calendars and Certified Copies

DNA Update: 
Ordered – 15 Feb 2013
Kit received by my uncle – 21 Feb 2013
My uncle mailed it back – 22 Feb 2013
Kit received by FTDNA – 28 Feb 2013

Book List Update:
I have added the following two books to my collection:

  • Fitzpatrick, Colleen. Forensic Genealogy. Fountain Valley, California: Rice Book Press, 2005.
  • Schaefer, Christina K. The Hidden Half of the Family: A Sourcebook for Women’s Genealogy. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1999.


Daniel asks: 
“How do you document all of the random internet searches that you do? [In reference to Don't Neglect A Simple Google Search]

I am switching more and more of my research calendar stuff to Legacy’s built-in To-Do List.  This is one example where the To-Do List works better than a traditional research calendar. I have an entry for Google Searches. In the results box I have a running list of every search I have done along with the exact search terms and the date.  Knowing what search terms you used helps for future searches. 

I also do this for message board and mailing list queries but I do each of these as a separate entry.  I put the date, name of the list and a copy of the exact query.  If I get responses, that goes on the results page. 


Nan comments:
”When visiting in Warren County [Georgia] some years ago, I saw the marriage book where my GGG grandparents marriage (1808) was recorded.  The lady judge said she could make a copy of the page for a few cents, or for some $ she could give me a certified copy.  She said the former wouldn't be worth the paper it was printed on!”
 

About your Warren County experience.  When I go to a courthouse I just snap digital photos instead of getting paper copies.  If I write to a courthouse I ask for plain paper copies.  There is no reason whatsoever to pay extra for a certified copy.  Certified copies are used to prove something to a court or a government agency.  For example, let’s say you just got married and you want to get a social security card in your new name.  You will need a certified copy of your marriage license to get this.  The only advantage to a certified copy is that it usually looks nicer.  It doesn’t make the record any more valid. I will warn you that some counties will only release certified copies (generates more money for them?). In those cases you might want to see if the Family History Library has the records on microfilm.  It will be cheaper for you especially if  you can pull multiple records off of one microfilm.


Copyright © 2013 Michele Simmons Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment