Saturday, March 23, 2013

Thank You, Mary!

My cousin Mary has been my genealogy partner in crime for many years.  She recently moved into a smaller place and had to downsize a bit.  Yesterday I received a surprise package in the mail.

000_0003

These are the nursing diplomas of two of my 2nd great-aunts, sisters Ida Leora and Dona Olive Perry.  They graduated from the Charity Hospital School of Nursing in Baton Rouge, Louisiana in 1903 and 1907 respectively.  My cousin Mary knows that I have a special connection to these two and to their older sister Mary Susan who was also a nurse.  My aunt Carolyn gave me a photo of Ida and Dona when I graduated nursing school in 1982.  Here they are:

ida2


Cousin Mary has this photograph of Ida and Dona.

PerryIdaLeora01

Ida was always quite the mystery.  Cousin Mary and I worked very hard to unravel her story.  Here is The Story of Ida Perry.


Here is me at my pinning ceremony in 1982.  I hope Mary, Ida, and Dona would have been as proud of me as I am of them.  Thank you so much, cousin Mary.  I love you dearly and I will treasure these as much as I know you have.

26998_1247087782679_1522238_n

Copyright © 2013 Michele Simmons Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment