Sunday, April 28, 2013

A Major Photographic Coup!

I am sure you know by now that I buy up old photos in order to keep them safe and available for other researchers.  Yesterday I was scanning, dating, and cataloging a set of 10 cabinet cards I bought off of eBay on 22 March 2013.  I bought them for 55 cents each including shipping.  When I went to scan the last photo I noticed that it was labeled on the back with the name “Mrs. William McKinley.”  Could it be?  I did a quick internet search and found that indeed it is a photograph of Ida (Saxton) McKinley, wife of President William McKinley.  You can read a short biography of Ida (Saxton) McKinley HERE.  If you notice, the same photograph is shown on this page.  This tells us that Mrs. McKinley had several copies of this same photo made which was a very common practice.  All I know is that I have one now and I can pretty much guarantee this one will be framed and put on my wall.   For more information about this photograph, please visit our other blog, Orphan Photos.

B01P050

Copyright © 2013 Michele Simmons Lewis

3 comments: