Monday, April 29, 2013

Paid Subscriptions

Dan asks:
”What paid subscription sites do you subscribe to?”  I can’t decide which ones  I need and which ones I don’t.”

Which ones you need depends greatly on the type of research you do.  For example, I don’t subscribe to British Isles record sites because I don’t do British Isles research, at least not right now.  I can tell you what I subscribe to but that  doesn’t necessarily mean that my choices will work for you.

Ancestry.com – This is the first thing I subscribed to and have had it for many years.  The initial reason I subscribed was for the census records.  It was so wonderful to not have to drive to downtown Tampa to look at microfilm.  I could stay and home and do research.  Now that census records are online for free that isn’t my main reason for using Ancestry.com anymore.  They have a lot of other indexes and image databases that I use.  I will say that the more things that FamilySearch digitizes, the less I need Ancestry.com and I anticipate that one day I will give up my subscription.  I only subscribe to the U.S. collection.

Fold3 – I do a lot of military research and this site is essential for me.  It saves me tons of time and money.  It is so nice to pull up digital images of compiled service records and pension files without having to order them through the state archives or NARA.  If you are a member of the National Genealogical Society (possibly other groups as well) you can get a Fold3 subscription for half price ($39.95/year) which is a bargain.  To see other reasons why you should join genealogical societies click HERE

GenealogyBank – I am addicted to GenealogyBank.  I can’t even tell you how much good stuff I have found here.  Many brick walls have been solved by using newspapers.  GenealogyBank is adding more papers on an almost daily basis.

NewspaperArchive – I subscribe to this site because of ONE newspaper, The Hattiesburg American.  The day that GenealogyBank carries The Hattiesburg American is the day I drop NewspaperArchive.  I like GenealogyBank much better but I have to have The Hattiesburg American.  A lot of my research is in rural Lamar/Forrest Counties and this paper covers it. 

Everything else I do on the internet is on the Freebie sites.


Copyright © 2013 Michele Simmons Lewis

4 comments:

  1. Michelle,

    Does NewspaperArchive carried papers from the Jackson area of Mississippi - Hinds, Rankin Counties?

    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have no newspapers for Jackson. Here is a list of towns covered: Biloxi, Brookhaven, Greenville, Gulfport, Hattiesburg, Laurel, Leland, Shelby and West Point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is interesting to see websites from an American perspective, which differ from Australia (besides Ancestry, which I started on too).
    I only have one relative from America (a brickwall) - Samuel Drayton from Philadelphia b 1814. Don't think any of these other websites will help me though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice to know we have some international readers! If you have a list of sites that are helpful for the Australian researcher, please post them here in the comments!

    ReplyDelete