Saturday, April 6, 2013

Photo Filing Systems, ProGens, and Relationships

Dan asks:
”On your
photo blog what do the numbers under the photos mean?”

I am answering this on the main blog because I only post photos on the other one.  I did let Dan know where to find his answer.  The number under the photo (ex. B01P019) tells me where the photo is filed in my filing system.  B01P019 is Book 1, Photo 19. 

Sharon asks:
”I saw that you are a professional genealogist and I wondered if you can help;  We have a family brick wall from our ggggrandfather who we found in New York, apparently born in Virginia to New York parents.  We cant find any information on his parents.  They have the 2nd most common surname (Johnson) and we only have a first name to go on and a birth year.  Have no idea where in Virginia the birth took place or indeed if it was Virginia in 1795 as we live in the southern hemisphere.

I wonder if you could tell me what professional genealogy services cost please and whether you undertake research in  the area of New York/Virginia.  We have paid for visits ourselves to NY and have searched Archives there, been through Ancestry, Fold 3, Archives, Family search etc., all without success.”

I don’t normally do research in the New York area (and I am not taking on any new clients right now anyway) but I can help you find someone that does.  I will tell you that professional genealogists are not inexpensive but sometimes having someone else do the leg work for you will save you time and money in the long run.  To make it as inexpensive as possible you need to write up everything that you have already searched and what you found, both positive and negative.  This will keep the researcher from duplicating your efforts. Also, limit your research goal to a single fact, “Who were John Doe’s parents?” 

I encourage you to read Hiring a Professional Researcher which has a lot of great information.   In Part III of this article there are links to the three places to look for a person to help you.  There are online directories for Accredited Genealogists, Certified Genealogists and members of the Association of Professional Genealogists.  You will be able to find someone that specializes in New York research which is important because that person will know what records are available and will be in a position to get them.  I hope this helps and  I wish you the best of luck.

Heather asks:
”My grandfathers brother (my great uncle) married a woman who already had a son from a previous marriage.  (The son is no blood relation to me).  What is his son called to me? An Uncle??  hat son (who is no blood relation to me) married a woman and had a baby.  What is that baby called to me?  Thank you! I have been searching everywhere for these answers!”

In the first example there is no blood relation.  If you really want to specify a relation you could say, “great-uncle’s wife's son.”   The second example is the same.  You could say, “great-uncle’s wife's son’s daughter” but it is starting to sound a bit weird.  In real life I would just say “my great-aunt’s son” and my “great-aunt’s granddaughter.”  The reason I didn’t use these terms when I first answered the question is if you are trying to explain a relation to someone (another genealogist) you want to explain it in terms of someone you are blood related to (your great-uncle).  I hope that all made sense. 

Copyright © 2013 Michele Simmons Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment