Monday, April 22, 2013

What do Foot, Horse and Dragoon Have in Common?

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENTS:  I am back (obviously!).  I didn’t get everything done that I needed to but at least my head is back above water.  I ordered another DNA test.  I can see how DNA tests can be addicting.  FamilyTreeDNA has a sale going on that ends TODAY (22 April 2013).


Angel asks:
”I have a question that I cannot seem to find the answer for: What does "CAPTAIN OF HORSE" mean in US history? I know it has something to do with a high honor ranking in the militia in the 1740's...maybe Captain of the Horse Soldiers?”

Captain of Foot – captain of the infantry (foot soldiers)
Captain of Horse – captain of the cavalry (soldiers on horseback)
Captain of Dragoon – captain of the mounted infantry.  They were armed with muskets called dragons.  These guys were trained foot soldiers but used horses to get from place to place.  They were not the same as the cavalry who trained and fought on horseback.

You usually see these terms in the 15th- early 19th centuries. These terms were used in British, French, German and American armies as well as several other countries. 


Angel also asks:
”I enjoyed the blog today and tried to find a used copy of the Lyman book but there were several that looked alike but had different ISBN numbers...are there more than one version? Which one would you recommend and is there any place where it is digitized online I can view?”

Angel is referring to the Timelines and Tables blog post where I mentioned the 3 volume set  Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish Settlement in Virginia by Lyman Chalkley.  The different ISBNs you are seeing are for different reprints.  The content is the same.  Here are two digital versions, one on InternetArchive and one on  Rootsweb.


Copyright © 2012 Michele Simmons Lewis

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back. You have made some of my earlier readings make sense now. I had seen the terms Captain of the Foot, Horse and Dragoon but did not understand its meaning. I would like to share this link. on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you post a link to your blog? I would love to see it!

    ReplyDelete