Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Facebook and Google+

Are you on Facebook  and/or Google+?  If you have been resisting social media I will tell you that if you are serious about your research you might want to reconsider.  Here are a few reasons:

  • You can network with genealogists from all over the world including very well-known researchers and authors
  • You will see the latest news in the world of genealogy including the release of new document groups and legislation that might effect your research practices
  • You can “like” pages that are specific to you interests such as cemetery preservation, Acadian research, military research etc.
  • You can join groups such as surname groups, locality groups and genealogy societies
  • You will hear about the latest continuing education opportunities and seminars
  • You can join scheduled Google Hangouts to discuss things live.  (Dear Myrtle is famous for her Google Hangouts)
  • You can keep up with what is going on with the big online repositories such as Ancestry.com, FamilySearch, GenealogyBank etc.  This is how I found out that FamilyTreeDNA was having a sale and I ordered another DNA test

If y’all* have other reasons why you should join Facebook and/or Google+ put them in the comments so that others can see.


*y’all – a southern contraction for “you all” which is equivalent to the northern idiom “yous guys” also spelled “youse guys.”


Copyright © 2012 Michele Simmons Lewis

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out, Michele. I thought I'd be just fine using only Facebook until Tessa Keough taught me how marvelous Google Hangouts are for talking about genealogy face-to-face. Don't you just love how cousin Russ Worthington pulls in the comments from the YouTube viewers during our live Hangouts?

    Ol' Myrt

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I am so honored to see that Dear Myrtle reads my blog! :) :) :) I usually catch the hangouts on the YouTube channel. It is nice that the live hangouts are archived. I think Russ is the absolute coolest :)

    I am looking forward to the study groups on the GPS based on Tom Jone's book. As a matter of fact, I think I will do a follow-up blog showcasing that hangout event :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michele,

    I want to let you know that your blog post is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2013/05/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-may-3-2013.html

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Jana! You are the greatest :)

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michele, I don't have anything to add to your list for Facebook or Google+ though I'm sure there are many more reasons. However, since you are discussing resisting "Social Media," I'd like to add one more avenue: Twitter. That's how I found your post here today :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Someone tweeted about me? I don't even have a Twitter account. My girls have been trying to get me to sign up for one but I just don't know when it gets to the point of overkill. There are also a ton of genealogists on Pinterest. I do have a Pinterest account but I only go on there maybe once every couple of weeks and then only to find knitting/crocheting patterns :) Thomas MacEntee (the expert in all things technological) uses Pinterest quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete