Are you on Facebook and/or Google+? If you have been resisting social media I will tell you that if you are serious about your research you might want to reconsider. Here are a few reasons:
- You can network with genealogists from all over the world including very well-known researchers and authors
- You will see the latest news in the world of genealogy including the release of new document groups and legislation that might effect your research practices
- You can “like” pages that are specific to you interests such as cemetery preservation, Acadian research, military research etc.
- You can join groups such as surname groups, locality groups and genealogy societies
- You will hear about the latest continuing education opportunities and seminars
- You can join scheduled Google Hangouts to discuss things live. (Dear Myrtle is famous for her Google Hangouts)
- You can keep up with what is going on with the big online repositories such as Ancestry.com, FamilySearch, GenealogyBank etc. This is how I found out that FamilyTreeDNA was having a sale and I ordered another DNA test
If y’all* have other reasons why you should join Facebook and/or Google+ put them in the comments so that others can see.
*y’all – a southern contraction for “you all” which is equivalent to the northern idiom “yous guys” also spelled “youse guys.”
Copyright © 2012 Michele Simmons Lewis