Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Civil War, Indexing, Pinterest and Surnames

Anne asks:
Is there a free website where you can see if someone served in the Civil War?

Yes there is.  The National Parks Service has the Soldiers and Sailors Database for the Civil War. I use this all the time.  It is a quick way to find people.  You can also read a short unit history of the unit your ancestor served and get a complete roster of the soldiers in the same unit.  This is an index only which means you will not be able to see the actual compiled service records or pension files but this index will give you the information you need to order a copy.


Marie asks:
Are you still indexing records for FamilySearch?

Yes.  I try to index or arbitrate one set every day. I feel that is the least I can do considering how much I use FamilySearch.  I arbitrated Alabama County Marriage records this morning.


Anonymous asks:
”Do you use Pinterest for genealogy?”


No.  I know several genealogists that use Pinterest but so far I haven’t gotten involved in that.  I do have a Pinterest account but I only get on there maybe once every 3 or 4 weeks and I am only looking at recipes or arts/crafts ideas. 


M. J.  asks:
”Is there a way to find out where in the world a surname comes from?”

There are several websites that will give you the basic history of a certain surname.  I like Discover the Meaning and History Behind Your Last name by Ancestry.com.  You do not have to be a member of Ancestry.com to use this.  I like this one because it will tell you the country of origin and the distribution of the name both in the US and the UK in different years.  It will also give you a lot of stats gleaned from the census records. 


Copyright © 2013 Michele Simmons Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment