Sunday, June 2, 2013

One of My Best Tips

One of the best things I ever did to advance my genealogy is go to two computer monitors.  I know that sounds a bit odd but I can’t tell you how much time and frustration this has saved me.  In the My Space blog post you can see my laptop with the attached second monitor and a couple of people asked me about it so I thought I would talk a bit about it. 

I have had my computer set up like this for about 5 years now.  Once I did it I couldn’t believe that I hadn’t done it before.  You can have your genealogy program up on one screen and a document on FamilySearch (or whatever) on the other other.  You can type the information into your genealogy program at the same time you are looking at it instead of minimizing and maximizing different windows back and forth.  Or, you can have your genealogy program up on one screen and Facebook up on the other :)


Copyright © 2013 Michele Simmons Lewis

8 comments:

  1. Hi Michele,

    Did you know about the transcript software? You can open an image and transcribe it in the text field just below it. The text can be saved as an .rtf extension. Its really cool and best of all, FREE! Check it out http://www.jacobboerema.nl/en/Freeware.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for this, Tara. I have watched a couple of conversations on the Transitional Genealogists Forum and on the Association of Professional Genealogists email list where they were talking about the different transcription programs out there. I am glad to see that there is a freebie. I will definitely check it out. It just so happens that June's ProGen assignment is to transcribe a document :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome. I hope it works out for you. Happy transcribing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have dreamed of two monitors, for exactly this reason.... Thanks, Tara! This should really help. I've checked it out some, and have downloaded. Looking forward to playing with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome Linda! By the way, in my eagerness to tell about the transcription program, I forgot to mention that I will do genealogy on my computer and have my IPad nearby to check my email and read in between waiting for things to download #multi-tasking

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE my two monitors! So the big question is: are you abstracting your surnames in CAPs or not for your ProGen hw?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE my two monitors! So the big question is: are you abstracting your surnames in CAPs or not for your ProGen hw?

    ReplyDelete
  8. All caps (small caps) for abstracts :)

    ReplyDelete