Tuesday, July 9, 2013

A convert!

This past weekend my stepsister and two nieces were here for a visit.  We also happen to be 5th cousins twice removed.  I showed her how the two of us are blood connected (my 4th great-grandfather is her 6th great-grandfather).  I showed her some old photos and she was truly interested.  She named off a couple of her great-grandparents wanting to know a little something about them and I was able to show her some census records, documents and obituaries.  I found something that was a total surprise to her.  She immediately called her father and he didn’t know about it either.  She couldn’t believe what I had found.  She went home very excited and now wants to learn how to do some research on her own.  This just totally made my day.

Copyright © 2013 Michele Simmons Lewis

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I get so excited when a family member asks a simple genealogy question!!!! Unfortunately, they grow bored after my long winded 5 minute response. Has anyone written an article about how not to be overly excited and long winded when dealing with family members who MAY kinda care?? How not to lose them???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean! I had to really hold back so that I didn't overwhelm her. I have 22 years of knowledge stored up and I can easily blow relatives away with it :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete