Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Genealogy in 1735

I decided to do a newspaper search for the word “genealogy” from 1700-1750.  I actually got quite a few hits.  Here is one.

“By the Search her Catholick Majesty has made into her Genealogy, it seems she is convinc’d that her Descent was from the elder Daughter of the famous Don Henriques, whereas the House of Braganza sprung from the youngest, and consequently her own Right is Prior.” 1

Some things never charge.  Even back then they were trying to hook up with famous people.


1 “London, Extract of a Letter from the Hague,” May 17. N. S.” The Boston Weekly Post-Boy, 21 Jul 1735, p. 1, col. 1; digital images, GenealogyBank (http://www.genealogybank.com : accessed 02 July 2013).

Copyright © 2013 Michele Simmons Lewis

2 comments:

  1. As much as things change, they stay the same...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the biggest kick out of this. It made me laugh. I wonder if "her Catholick Majesty" cited her sources :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete