Here are the tests I have done so far:
- yDNA with FamilyTreeDNA (FTDNA) on my maiden name Simmons (my uncle took the test)
- yDNA with FTDNA on my Lewis line (my husband took the test)
- atDNA with Ancestry.com (I took the test)
- I transferred my atDNA results from Ancestry.com to FTDNA.
- mtDNA with FTDNA (I took the test and the results are pending)
- atDNA with 23andMe (I took the test and the results are pending)
This will be it for me for awhile. In case you are wondering, the reason I am doing a second atDNA test with 23andMe is because I can’t transfer my Ancestry.com results to 23andMe and they have the largest database. I am trying to solve a very specific genealogical dilemma so it is important for me to get the DNA out there in all three databases.
I will be very interested to see my mtDNA results. My mother, her mother, her mother etc. were all born in Germany (Prussia). I should have very few matches which may turn out to be a good thing. DNA testing isn’t as popular in Germany so the only people I should match are ancestors of children of the above that immigrated.
So far I haven’t discovered anything earth shattering. The two people that I thought were my parents really are (as evidenced by the people I show related to) which is always a good thing. Now I know my research has been done on the right people. Right now I am in a holding pattern. I am waiting for more matches to appear in the databases as more people get tested and also waiting for the results of my last two tests.
Copyright © 2013 Michele Simmons Lewis