Friday, September 6, 2013

Drawbacks

One of the drawbacks to doing professional research is that your own research gets neglected.  Over the last few years I have gotten so busy doing work for others, researching, writing, lecturing etc. that my own genealogy file doesn’t get opened often enough. 

Since I am finally scanning my paper documents and getting my filing system in tip top shape I have actually been sleuthing a bit on my own ancestors and having a lot of fun.  In the last couple of days I have learned a few new things which has motivated me even more.

Just this week I went out to Magnolia Cemetery and found two markers that I needed,  I went to the Columbia County courthouse to get some marriage records,  I wrote off for two death certificates, one in Georgia and one in Maryland and I wrote a letter to a man in Mississippi that is rumored to have a Bible I would be interested in.  Today I am going to the Richmond County courthouse looking for a few more marriage records.  I even solved a minor brick wall.

Working on my own line is actually relaxing because I have no deadlines.  


Copyright © 2013 Michele Simmons Lewis

3 comments:

  1. Michele, this is so true for many of us who do or have done genealogy at the professional level. My expertise is Tennessee/Kentucky and I have been a professional genealogist since 1995. In 2010 I was asked to be my county's archivist/records manager and start our county archives. I still take clients on a limited basis but I too don't get to spend much time on my own research. You are so right, when I do get to work on my own research it is amazing how relaxing it is! Thanks for sharing this blog post, lets the rest of us know that we are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand what you are saying. I get caught up in the genealogy part of the business and my own research is stalled. Guess we need to "pencil ourselves in" from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have cut back on a few outside obligations so that I will have more time for myself :)

    ReplyDelete