Monday, September 16, 2013

FamilySearch Family Tree question

Shelby asks:
”I am adding in people, kind of rebuilding a new tree on family search and I am not finding anyone so it is creating new people. Is this normal or am I missing something? Also, it's like the new IDs are all starting with the same codes. Am I to guess that they are just really not in here; I've gotten up to my grandparents and my hubby's parents (who are both passed).  Am I likely to eventually run into someone who might be in the system?”

If you started with yourself then you probably won't get a duplicate until you get farther back in time. It is much more likely someone has already added your great-grandparents than added you (and you shouldn’t be able to see living people anyway even if someone did add you). The reason the codes are similar is because you added a couple of people in a row that weren’t in the database. They weren't perfectly sequential because there are many people out there that are adding people, merging people, and splitting people at the same time as you are so that is why you are seeing numbers that are close, but not quite sequential.


Copyright © 2013 Michele Simmons Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment