Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The power of the word “of”

I love the word “of.”  Here is my 4th great-grandfather, James Simmons, Sr.

JamesScreenshot  from  Legacy Family Tree


He was “of” South Carolina.  What does that mean?  That means that I don’t know where he was born but the earliest record I have of him places him in the state of South Carolina.  That is pretty important information and I don’t want that to get buried in the notes section somewhere.  I can look at this and immediately see that I do not have James’ place of birth but I do have him in the state of South Carolina.  That is a lot of information stuffed into that little word “of.”


Copyright © 2013 Michele Simmons Lewis

2 comments:

  1. The use of "of" used to be much more common. I am not sure why people aren't using it as much anymore.

    ReplyDelete