Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Chasing another black sheep

 

Copyright © 2013 Deidre Erin Denton, used with permission


How would you like to get an email like this?  (Names changed to protect the guilty) 

"Oh goodness Michele.  It's a mess with John Doe's records because of his lifestyle.  I spoke to my uncle today who states that John was once married to a woman from Minnesota and that they had a son together.  He couldn't recall her name.  The divorce papers from Jane and John, dated in 1951, listed John's address in Connecticut, so it is very possible he had a wife up north.  My uncle, who is John's son, states that his father was married illegally a few times.  John was also married to a woman who's first name was Mary- I believe that marriage took place in Colorado.  He was a rambler and womanizer.   Good luck!"

So far I have found three marriages and annulment.  None of the ones I found were in Minnesota, Connecticut or Colorado.  I guess I have a ways to go yet.  By the way, this man was my grandfather's half brother. 


Copyright © 2013 Michele Simmons Lewis

4 comments:

  1. I live in MN & my ancestors have been here for several generations. Do you know about the MOMS site for marriage certificate searches? https://www.mncounty.com/ I've found that most on here are the marriage date but some are license dates which can actually be lucky. My husband's father was born out of wedlock & he had heard once that his dad's father's name was Anderson. With many people dead already & that there's no contact with, I thought I'd never solve that one. Fortunately my husband's grandmother apparently applied for a marriage license with the biological Anderson father about a month after his dad was born. I ordered the certificate & found out they never went through with it but I got the license anyway. Lucky for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't seen this site (I haven't done anything in MN before). I didn't find anything though. I just bookmarked it. I might need it again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some ancestors just like to keep it interesting! My husband's great grandmother was married a documented 7 times. She also made a deathbed confession of an 8th marriage that we have not found yet. 2 divorces, 1 annulment, 1 heart attack, 2 different kinds of cancer, and one surviving husband. The best part is that she is buried with her favorite husband - not the one who survived her. She was a woman who loved men!

    ReplyDelete