Friday, October 18, 2013

Genealogy Roadshow

So how are y’all liking Genealogy Roadshow?  It features two of genealogy’s heavy hitters, Kenyatta D. Berry, President of the Association of Professional Genealogists and D. Joshua Taylor, President of the Federation of Genealogical Societies.  There are of course other experienced genealogists working behind the scenes helping them gather the information they need for the show but I think that Kenyatta and Josh are doing a great job presenting it.

I like the show.  I am glad they pull a little history in to make for a more complete story.  What strikes me are the crowds.  Did you notice how many people showed up to the venues?  As interesting as the featured stories are, can you imagine just how many more fascinating stories there are in that crowd.  What I do know is if they ever make to Georgia I will be one of those people in the crowd.  Who knows, maybe I will be on the show one day and Kenyatta or Josh will be solving one of my brick walls for me. 


Copyright © 2013 Michele Simmons Lewis

5 comments:

  1. I like it too. Josh and Kenyatta engage the audience very well. Josh is particularly humorous. The historical segments are a nice touch. I hope the show is renewed. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to put it out there. Josh now has a fan following here! I did know about the behind the scenes researchers as a I ran across a blog post by one of those behind the scenes genealogists. I read so many, so sorry, can't remember who it was. I am sure it is in my feeds. I was hoping to see a little "genealogy on the fly" in this show. Pull a random person (like me!) in. It can be done, I've done it for friends and family with some really good surprises. It is almost like doing a palm reading to them as far as entertainment. So much online now I cannot even keep up with all the entering in the database. BTW, that blog mentioned that they have to hire extras for the crowd shots as filming sometimes runs long hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had to go and burst my bubble about the crowds, didn't you :) I like doing research on the fly. I do it all the time when the Columbia County Genealogical Society meets and someone needs some help.

      Delete
  3. So sorry, in retrospect I should have put the "Spoiler Alert" first.

    ReplyDelete