Saturday, October 5, 2013

Look at what I found

I found three obituaries that I printed off of microfilm on 01 Jul 1991.  The date is stamped on the printout.  These would be some of the very first documents I collected when I first started out.  I copied these at the University of South Florida.  I remember not having a clue about how to use a microfilm machine.  I even remember that they cost me 10 cents a copy.  You had to put your 10 cents in the machine and a copy would spit out.  The bad news is, I didn’t know to write down the date, page number and column number for the obituary.  I do know these came from the Tampa Tribune but that is about it.

I originally started looking into my family’s past when my dad told me about a family rumor from about 1932 concerning my grandmother.  I decided I had to prove or disprove the rumor.  That is what got me started and I haven’t stopped since.  By the way, I was able to disprove the rumor.

I have put the microfilm printout below.  You can click it to make it bigger.  You can see my grandpa William Simmons just above the word Notices. In the far right corner you can see the date I copied it.

Houston

Copyright © 2013 Michele Simmons Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment