Monday, October 21, 2013

More fun things

As I am scanning my documents I keep finding interesting things.  Here is Rusaw Grantham’s death certificate.

Grantham, Rusaw death certificate 1938
Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals, death certificate 5293 (1938), Rusaw Grantham; State Registrar and Vital Records, New Orleans.


Rusaw’ s cause of death was probable cerebral hemorrhage.   “Fell in knee deep water completely submerged at time.”  So I am guessing the doctor thought he had a stroke and passed out, fell in the water and drowned.  Sounds reasonable.  It is what is written above this that makes my eyebrow go up, “Coroner’s Case.”   Ah!  Could there be more information? The coroner’s reports were on microfilm at the Family History Library (FHL) so there was no excuse not to get a copy.

Grantham, Rusaw coroner's report 1938
Coroner's Report, Rusaw Grantham, filed 11 April 1938; St. Tammany Parish Coroner, St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana; FHL microfilm 1,463,469, item 2-3. 

I have to say I was hoping to find something more exciting than this but at least I can say that I was thorough and checked.  There are all kinds of goodles at the FHL.  It is always a good idea to browse their card catalog to see what they have.  If the FHL didn’t have these, I would have checked with the local courthouse.


Copyright © 2013 Michele Simmons Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment