Saturday, October 19, 2013

Quadruple first cousins?

I am working on a really unusual family.  This family is so interesting that I have been working on it all day and I even forgot to eat lunch.  This one might be one for the record books.  I am leaving out the names because I am still trying to put everything together.  Once I do I will post it all.  I have two brothers that married two sisters.  That isn’t unusual.  It happens all the time, even today.  The children from these two families would be double first cousins.  Most genealogists can point to some double first cousins in their file.   Now here comes the really unusual part.  Three of the children from the first couple married three of the children from the second couple!  So I have three marriages where the husband and wife are double first cousins!  I have never seen this before.  I am not sure what their children would be, quadruple first cousins?  I am scared to try and do the math.

Copyright © 2013 Michele Simmons Lewis

8 comments:

  1. Never mind the math, genetics..oooh boy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought Mississippi was bad but I think the state of Georgia has Mississippi beat on this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well.... As long as their genetic maps were fairly clean.... But I sure hope all their children out-married, preferably to people from other states!! I'm curious.... Really geographically isolated, or it all 'just happened'? And I would seriously make the gen-program do the math! Looking forward to more when things get figured out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the weird part. This was in Augusta, GA. Augusta has always been a populated, bustling place so there were plenty of people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandma being the youngest of 13 kids, she, a sister & a brother married my grandpa, his brother, and his sister. Another set of her brothers married sisters and another sister & brother married cousins. Haven't seen them be related again though! On my dad's side he has relatives who were 1st cousins who married, then their daughter married another one of their (both mom & dad's) 1st cousin. And this is in MN. But the one you're working on has to be crazy genetic-wise. Wouldn't they have the same great-grandparents several times over?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Worse. Everyone one of them has the same grandparents and their aunt/uncle is also their mother/father-in-law!.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my! I am looking forward to reading more about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just dealt with this recently and I found them from two people my grandmother matched to on the Family Finder DNA test! It was a mess. I gave up trying to print the relationship reports as RootsMagic will only print up to two reports. This should be fun for you!

    ReplyDelete