Here are some tips to keep your genealogy program/database file in good working order. Nothing is worse than a corrupted file. Well, there is one thing worse, a corrupted file AND no backup file to fall back on.
- No matter which program you use, back up often! I work in my file every day so I back up every day at the very least. If I am adding a lot of information then I will be backing up several times in one day. I keep 10 backups on SkyDrive. Anything earlier than that I delete. My entire computer is backed up by Carbonite as well.
- Don’t leave your genealogy file open when you are not working on it, especially overnight. This is a great way to mess up your file. When Windows decides to update in the middle of the night and reboots it could corrupt your file.
- Use a quality surge protector with battery backup on your computer (not the $5.99 one at Wal-Mart).
- Keep your computer in tip top shape by installing the recommended updates and doing routine ScanDisks and Defrags.
- Install updates/bug fixes for your genealogy program when they are released.
- If your genealogy program has built in “File Maintenance” features, use them on a regular basis to keep your data file compacted and free of errors.
- Did I mention that you should back up often?
Copyright © 2013 Michele Simmons Lewis