Monday, November 11, 2013

Veteran’s Day

Today is the day we remember our military veterans. If you would like to read a brief history of Armistice Day, now known as Veteran’s Day, you can click HERE.  Originally it was to honor the veterans of World War I but over time it came to include all veterans.

I thought I would focus on the American Civil War in this post since it was the deadliest war in our history.  Over 620,000 soldiers died and they were all ours.  Here are two young men that fought on opposite sides.  Both of them are so young, children really.  War is always a tragedy but when you are fighting against yourself it is even more so.

I look at these two young men and wonder if they made it home alive.  As the mother of a 16 year old son, I can’t even imagine my son going off to war but countless mothers watched their sons do just that.  I think that we should not only remember and honor our veterans but also their families that watched them go.

CSA
Unknown Confederate soldier, photograph courtesy of the Library of Congress


[Unidentified soldier in Union uniform with gauntlets, shoulder scales, and cavalry Company K Hardee hat holding dual Colt Model 1855 Root sidehammer pistols and cavalry saber]
Unknown Union soldier, photograph courtesy of the Library of Congress


Copyright © 2013 Michele Simmons Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment