Wednesday, November 20, 2013

You never know until you ask

I have a lady that was in the Arizona State Hospital.  She died there 66 years ago.  I just wrote a letter to them asking for her medical records.  The hospital still exists.  I have no idea what Arizona’s privacy laws are and who can have access to what.  Some states never allow access, some states allow access to certain people and some states allow access after a certain number of years.  At this point I don’t know where Arizona stands.  If you know the answer to that question don’t tell me unless it is good news. I don’t want my hopes dashed yet.  I need time to come up with a plan B. 

Emma was in the hospital for at least 27 years. She is there for the 1910 census and she died there in 1937  Her life is such a mystery to me.  She was born in Mississippi in 1874.  By 1902 she was getting married in California.  How did she end up there?  I am now looking for a previous marriage that might have taken her to California.  She and her known husband moved to Arizona and she ends up in the state insane asylum.

This is one of those stories that I just want to know.


Copyright © 2013 Michele Simmons Lewis

1 comment:

  1. I'm in the same situation with my g grandmother. Still very hard to get answers. The 1930 census was huger for me because I got to see all her roommates at the Asylum. The birth Certificate from the State of NNj took me 6 months of battling to get! Good Luck and keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete