Daisy Dorothy Maddox died on 25 Oct 1921 from burn injuries. I scanned this death certificate and linked it to the little girl in my file. In my notes I noticed that a fellow research and relative of this child had told me the child was injured in a fireplace accident. I did have it properly cited (the citation was an interview with this man) but surely there would have been a newspaper account of this incident. At the time I initially entered this, the Augusta Chronicle was not available online but now it is. I am glad I checked.
Daisy Dorothy Maddox, four-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Samuel Maddox, died yesterday morning at 11 o’clock at the home of the parents, seven miles from Augusta on the Wrightsboro Road from burns. The child was burned a fortnight ago while at play in the yard of her home with several other children. During the play the little girl is said to have entered the home, obtained some matches and returned to the yard. Shortly afterward the mother looking out into the yard saw the child enveloped in flames. She rushed to the child and attempted to extinguish the flames by disrobing the child, but before she succeeded the child had been fatally burned.
 “Dorothy Maddox died from burns,” The Augusta Chronicle, 26 October 1921, p. 7, col. 4.
Copyright © 2014 Michele Simmons Lewis