Sunday, January 26, 2014

AniMap

While I was entering a death certificate into Legacy, I saw that the deceased was born in Salley, South Carolina in 1845.  When I tried to enter Salley, Aiken, South Carolina, United States into Legacy I got an error message.

Ani1Screenshot from Legacy 8.0

 

I then clicked on the Online County info button which brought me to the Aiken County, South Carolina FamilySearch Wiki Page. There I found, “10 March 1871: Aiken was created from Barnwell, Edgefield, Lexington and Orangeburg Counties.”  Now I have a problem.  Which county was Salley actually in in 1845?  This is where AniMap comes in. AniMap allows me to pinpoint a specific location and then I can see how the state and county boundaries changed around that location over time.   I chose 1832 because that is the date of the last boundary changes prior to 1845.

 

ani2Screenshot from AniMap 3.0.2

 

Salley was in Orangeburg County in 1845.  Now I can enter the correct information into Legacy.  You always want to record your location as it was at the time of the event. 

Copyright © 2014 Michele Simmons Lewis

1 comment:

  1. I find Animap to be a wonderful tool...and fun to use too :)

    ReplyDelete