Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Metadata

One big thing I leaned from Randy Whited’s RootsTech 2014 Lecture, A Beginner’s Guide to Going Paperless, was to add my complete source citation as metadata to my image files.  To do this all you have to do is right click the image, go to Properties then click on the Details tab.  You have several metadata fields, Title, Subject, Rating, Tags and Comments.  Just click on the field that you want to use and a box will come up where you can type.  I just copy and paste my citation into the Comments field.  For now I am opting to leave the other fields blank.  If you want to know WHY this is a good idea, watch Randy’s lecture.

meta

 

Copyright © 2014 Michele Simmons Lewis

5 comments:

  1. Love this idea Michele. I had never thought about entering source info in metadata. I have used it to enter names for group photos. Although, truth be told, I have much work to do on my photos.
    Thanks,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing is that this doesn't always work with PDFs. I've found that even if I can put the citation in the metadata of a PDF, it will not copy when I back it up. My solution? I click the little "comment" balloon in the PDF toolbar & a little post-it note type thingy pops up where I'll put in my citation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw Randy's RootsTech Lecture too. The only problem I have now is that it works slightly different for Windows XP. I guess there is another reason to upgrade to a newer computer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michele,

    I want to let you know that your blog post is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2014/02/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-february-28.html

    Have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete