Wednesday, February 26, 2014

My mtDNA FINALLY!

The lab received my DNA sample on 10 Jul 2013.  I received my results on 11 Feb 2014.  Seven months and one day, oh my. 

My haplogroup is U4d which is 100% German.  It means my female ancestors have been in the same part of central Europe since antiquity.  I only have two matches and neither is an exact match.  That is probably a good thing.  I know that most people get a gazillion matches which is harder to deal with.  I did the mtFullSequence test which to about 5 generations with 50% accuracy.  To get up to 95% accuracy you are are 22 generations.  This is as close as you can get with mtDNA.

Copyright © 2014 Michele Simmons Lewis

4 comments:

  1. May I ask which testing company you used?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I should have said! It was FTDNA. I also have 2 yDNA tests with them as well as an atDNA. No delays with the results from the other tests.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How does this compare to Ancestry DNA testing?
    I am especially interested in the mtDNA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ancestry.com does not offer the mtDNA test, The only test they are offering right now is the atDNA (autosomal).

    ReplyDelete