Monday, February 24, 2014

Newspaper question

Rob asks:

When sourcing a print newspaper, and the masthead of the newspaper includes the word "The" (i.e. The Ottawa Citizen), do I include the "The" in my source citation (i.e. The Ottawa Citizen, 20 Dec 1988, p. 28, col. 1.), or not (i.e. Ottawa Citizen, 20 Dec 1988, p. 28, col. 1)?

Is there any difference for newspapers found online?

 

I always use the name just as it is on the newspaper itself.  Here are two examples:

"Ernest Lee Lewis dies at Martinez," The Augusta Chronicle, 22 February 1946, p. 5, col. 3; digital images, GenealogyBank (http://www.genealogybank.com : accessed 05 October 2013). 

"Births," Hattiesburg American, 11 August 1971, p. 29, col. 4; digital images, NewspaperArchive (http://www.newspaperarchive.com : accessed 04 October 2013). 

I use the same rule no matter if it is a print paper or an online paper. 

 

Copyright © 2014 Michele Simmons Lewis

1 comment:

  1. I agree, Michele. I have found that some newspapers change their names over the years and add or subtract the "the" in the front. I always use whatever the newspaper used for their name. Chronicling America has a great section called "U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present" where you can find all of the newspapers listed from an area. Then you can follow the evolution of that newspaper's name, publisher, and mergers over time. I used this to help create a finding tool for the newspapers our historical society has.

    ReplyDelete