Thursday, February 6, 2014

The new Genealogy Standards Manual

I bought the BCG Standards Manual in 2000 when it was first published.  I refer to it all the time so it is pretty much falling apart.  I was pretty happy when I heard that the BCG was publishing a new edition.  I ordered it and my new book came in the mail yesterday.  I was a bit surprised when I saw it because it is much smaller than the old version.    The information is organized well making it easy to go through the standards one at a time but it doesn’t include any examples like the old book did.  I like the smaller format because it is easier to flip through but I do miss those examples.

I am assuming that the BCG will be putting out a new Rubrics to go along with the new book.  The standard numbers don’t match.  Here are the Old Rubrics.  You can use the rubrics to compare your work with how BCG applicants are judged.

Even if you have no interest in becoming certified, the Standards Manual and the Rubrics will help bring your research up to the next level.  I recommend that you get the new manual. 

 

Copyright © 2014 Michele Simmons Lewis

3 comments:

  1. Would you recommend getting the older version with the examples or go ahead and get the new one if one doesn't have either?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say. What I didn't tell you in the blog is that I actually threw my old copy away 2 days before I got the new one not knowing that the examples were no longer there. Another genealogist had pity on me when she heard my sad story and she is sending me an extra copy she had at her house :) If you are not comfortable with the register/modified register system, and/or you don't have Elizabeth Shown Mills' Professional Genealogy book, I would say it would be worth it to get a copy of the old book.

      Delete