Tuesday, March 18, 2014

One couple, two marriages?

Here is a weird one that I am working on.

Peter J. Jenkins and Miss Keziah Grantham married on 04 Aug 1882 in Hancock County, Mississippi.1 

Jas P. Jenkins and Kasiah Grantham were married 12 Dec 1887 in St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana.2

Same couple?  Maybe.  Peter (or James) went by his first or middle name depending on the record and his particular mood that day.  Peter and Keziah were both living in St. Tammany Parish prior to their marriage and they apparently crossed the line into neighboring Hancock County, Mississippi to get married in 1882.  They then got married again in their home county.  Why?  No clue.  As far as I know they never divorced.  Neither was under age.  Keziah was actually from Mississippi originally but migrated to Louisiana with her parents and siblings. The 1882 marriage makes more sense because they had a son in 1885.  I do know that Peter was married before he was married to Keziah and I am trying to track that down now.  So here is the one thing that is tripping me up.  There are TWO Peter Jenkins in St. Tammany Parish in 1850 that are both the same age.  I can follow one of them through time but the other one I lose.   Keziah is a relatively uncommon name but I have come across several in this area so it is possible there are two of them.  The plot thickens.  I love mysteries like this Smile

I am disabling the comments for this post because this little sub plot is part of a much bigger case study involving Keziah Grantham.  I might decide to use it one day for the BCG and if I allow any feedback it would be disqualified.  I just wanted to show you the types of dilemmas you might run across.

I am just beginning this investigation so I might luck out and have my answer before tomorrow, you never know.  Or, this may be one of those things that haunts me for awhile.


1Hancock County, Mississippi, Marriage Book D: 168, Jenkins-Grantham, 1882; Circuit Court, Bay St. Louis. 

2St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana, Marriage Records, 1811-1967, Marriage Book 2: 200, Jenkins-Grantham, 1887; FHL microfilm 1,463,133. 

 

Copyright © 2014 Michele Simmons Lewis