Tuesday, April 8, 2014

A marriage, a divorce petition, and the Mississippi High Court of Errors and Appeals

Ignatius Grantham married Catherine Sheffield on 09 October 1810 in Wayne County, Georgia.1  In 1825, Catherine filed for divorce in Marion County, Mississippi which is really interesting.  The case was then sent to the Mississippi High Court of Errors and Appeals which makes it even more interesting.2  I have written to the Marion County Circuit Court asking for a copy of the original petition and I have written to the Mississippi Department of Archives and History for the appellate case file.

I then did a search on Google Books just for fun.  Guess what I found, a reference to a National Genealogical Society Quarterly issue from 1955 that mentions not only Ignatius but his father John.  John is my real target.  He would be my 5th great-grandfather.  Google Books would only let me see a snippet so I have fired off an email to the NGS asking them how I can get a hold of this issue (the issues on the website only go back to 1970).  One thing that I could see in the snippet was a mention of some deeds.  This family was in several counties in two different states so knowing where these deeds of interest are would make it a lot easier for me to request copies. 

I have to say though, I am mostly interested in the details of the divorce case.  A divorce in 1825 where the wife was the petitioner and the case gets moved to the appellate court.  You know it’s got to be good.

 


    1 Wayne County, Georgia, Marriage Book 1809-1869: 8, Grantham-Sheffield, 1810; Probate Court, Jesup.

      2 Mary Louise Flowers Hendrix, compiler, Mississippi Court Records from the Files of the High Court of Errors and Appeals 1799-1859 (Greenville, South Carolina: Southern Historical Press, Inc., 1999), 6.

 

Copyright © 2014 Michele Simmons Lewis

 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Not completely unheard of, but very unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading what you do and your thought process...."so I fired off an email to NGS".
    Very helpful to us newbies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure hope there are some good "loose" papers to go with that divorce case--where all the goodies are.

    ReplyDelete