Saturday, April 12, 2014

Gotta use the index

Here is an example of the rare time an index is the best evidence. 

McMichael, David and Sarah Kimbrough marriage 1789

The Greene County, Georgia Courthouse sent me this page from their official marriage index.  David McMichael and Sarah Kimbro (Kimbrough) are my 5th great-grandparents.  Their marriage record no longer exists.  The Greene County Probate Clerk told me that some of their records have been lost, David and Sarah’s marriage record being one of the missing ones.  It could have been accidentally destroyed or it could have even been stolen.  I have no idea.  This index was written before the record was lost.  These marriage records were not microfilmed before they were lost. In this case the index is my best evidence.

Copyright © 2014 Michele Simmons Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment