Sunday, April 13, 2014

Graham crackers

If you don’t already know this by now, I love FamilySearch.  I needed a 1820 Elbert County, Georgia marriage license.  The earliest Elbert County marriages are loose papers (not books) contained in boxes at the Georgia Archives.  They have been microfilmed but not indexed.  I was getting ready to send a request to the Family History Library for this record. When I went to do a search in the FHL card catalog, I got the dreaded, “not available on microfilm” stating the film is in the Vault and not available.  But I then got a much better message, one that said click here.  I clicked and the images of the precious loose papers are on FamilySearch.  They aren’t indexed but I can live with that.  Box M1 contains the 1818-1821 loose marriage records.  There are 540 images.  It took me 40 minutes to find the right one (Once I got the 1820 ones I had to go through one at a time because though all the 1820 ones are together, they aren’t in any particular order so having the exact date wasn’t a help in this case).  So here is what I was looking for.

Wilhight, John and Elizabeth Wilhight marriage 1820Elbert County, Georgia, County Records, 1790-2002, Box M1, loose marriage records, Wilhite-Wilhite, 17 Aug 1820; digital images, FamilySearch (http://www.familysearch.org : accessed 03 April 2014). 

 

Why did I need this record so badly?  I knew that John B. Wilhite had married someone named Elizabeth but Elizabeth what?  Egads!  He married Miss Elizabeth P. Wilhite!  Of course he did.  So much for this being easy.  Now I have to figure out what John’s relationship to his bride was.

I would like to thank Job Weston, Clerk of the Court of Ordinary for his easy to read penmanship which made it a lot easier to scan through all of those documents.

So what do graham crackers have to do with any of this?  I ate an entire sleeve of Annie’s Organic Cinnamon Graham Crackers while I was searching.  It made the time pass by more pleasantly.

 

Copyright © 2014 Michele Simmons Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment