Friday, May 2, 2014

Latest update for Ignatius and Catherine Grantham

In my blog post A marriage, a divorce petition, and the Mississippi High Court of Errors and Appeals I told you had I had written off to the Mississippi Department of History and Archives (MDAH) to get a copy of the appellate court case file for Ignatius and Catherine’s divorce.   I am anxious to see this case file because a divorce in 1825 is rare, a divorce where the wife is the petitioner is ever rarer and a divorce that gets bumped up to the appellate court is even rarer still. 

Today I received a letter from the MDAH.  I always get a little scared when I get a letter from them because sometimes it isn’t good news. however, in this case it is good news.  They have located the case file.  It is seventeen pages long.  The file will cost me $7.25.  Needless to say,  I have written the check and the letter will be going out in tomorrow’s post.  If it wasn’t raining, I would take it to the post office just so I could get it out today.

Stay tuned!

 

Copyright © 2014 Michele Simmons Lewis

4 comments:

  1. You probably are already aware of the name of her 2nd husband, eh? Buried in here..... http://www.genealogy.com/users/m/a/b/John-M-Mabry-Colorado/FILE/0006text.txt

    Your posts are always so interesting.

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it took me so long to post your comment. It was hiding in the corner of my inbox. I just now saw it. Thanks so much for your kind comments :) :) I do have her second husband's name. I haven't done any research in that direction yet though.

      Delete
  2. I have a case similar to this. My 3g grandfather's divorce from his 2nd wife is a bill in the PA House of Representatives. It is my most precious find so far, as it happened during a year when transcripts were available and I have record of the testimony in the case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I have obtained divorce records for several divorces in my family but nothing anything near as early in time as this one.

      Delete