Thursday, May 15, 2014

Speaking of BLM records…

My 3rd great-grandfather was Silas Simmons born abt. 1794 in South Carolina.   He received bounty land for his service in the War of 1812.   It is warrant #64098, issued 12 Jul 1854, 40 acres (MOL) in Perry County.   The warrant specifically says “Silas Simmons, Private in Captain Easom’s Company Louisiana Militia War 1812.”  I have Silas’ compiled service record so that matches.  He also lived in Perry County so everything matches.  He actually sold (assigned) his warrant to Manlius Huggins and John W. Myers (a fairly common occurrence). I have his bounty land application and the complete land entry file from the National Archives.   I could have stopped here because everything matches like it should, but…

I decided to take the time to look at the other Silas Simmons’ that received bounty land in Mississippi and I got a bit of a surprise.

Warrant #57078, issued 10 May 1860, 120.39 acres in Clarke County.  “Silas Simmons, Private Captain Easoms Company Louisiana Militia War 1812.”  Silas sold this warrant to Charles Hodges.

Warrant #64098, issued 02 Oct 1854, 39.92 acres in Stone County.  “Silas Simmons, Private in Captain Easoms Company Louisiana Militia War of 1812.”  Silas sold this warrant to Manlius Huggins and John W. Myers.  This warrant was subsequently cancelled.

So what the heck was going on?  Warrants in three counties?  I have to order the land entry files for these warrants to see if they have any clues in them.  I have to say that I didn’t notice this right off and I kicked myself a bit for not seeing it the first time around.  I made the mistake of stopping when I found the record I was looking for.  It never hurts to keep looking just to make sure.  Even if I discount the warrant that was cancelled (and I can’t discount it until I see the land entry file) I still have Silas receiving warrants in two counties.  Apparently Silas chose to split up his bounty land.  I have no clue as to why he would want to do this.  As far as I know, he didn’t have any ties in Stone or Clarke Counties.  He sold his warrants off so maybe he really didn’t care where the land was.

Here is a little side note.  In the land entry file for the warrant issued in Perry County there are multiple affidavits from the Perry County court.  What is so interesting about this is that the Perry County courthouse burned in 1877 with a total records loss.  These documents are dated 1843-1856, before the courthouse was burned.  I couldn’t have gotten copies of these documents from the courthouse.  Since copies were included in the land entry file, I have multiple documents from a burned county.  Very cool. 

 

Copyright © 2014 Michele Simmons Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment