Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Wednesday – 3rd day of class

We had another downpour today but this time it was when we were trying to get from the dorms to the cafeteria.  By the time we finished eating it had stopped which was just in time for John Colletta’s lecture, more about that in a bit.  I just used the word “time” three times (now four) in the same paragraph.  I have a funny feeling Tom Jones would have something to say about that.  Speaking of Tom, I am still waiting to see how he edited my 500 word writing sample.  I am not too sure I want to see it.

Today’s victim was Linda Woodward Geiger. She has more accomplishments than I can list but you can read about her HERE.  My connection to her is that she is a Georgia girl doing Georgia research.  She is actually in my class and only sits a few desks away but today is the first day I have spoken with her (I was basically sitting behind her in awe.)

Tim Pinnick is still hiding somewhere.  I am pretty sure he is still here considering he is teaching a class.

Here is what we did today:

8:00 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.: Student Project 2 Due; Discussion of Project Results (Jones)
8:30 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.: Ethics for Genealogical Writers
(Jones)
9:45 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.: Morning Break
10:00 a.m. - 11:15 a.m.: Principles of Good Writing and Good Storytelling (Colletta)11:15 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.: Lunch
12:45 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.: Organizing Your Ancestors in Genealogical Format (Session 1)
(Jones)
2:00 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.: Afternoon Break
2:45 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.: Organizing Your Ancestors in Genealogical Format (Session 2)
(Jones)
4:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.: Assignment of Student Project 3 (Formatting Exercise) (Jones)

Special evening session 7:00 p.m. – 8:15 p.m.: Discovering the REAL stories of Your Immigrant Ancestors presented by John Colletta.   John is a great speaker.  He holds your interest and he is really funny.  I was right in the front row so I had it made.

After class we saw a gazillion lightning bugs on our way back to the dorms.  I guess the rain brought them out.  Everyone was having a good time watching them until we realized that we still had to finish up a homework assignment. This one is all about numbering your genealogy.  We are numbering a family ascending and descending using the Register system and the NGSQ system.  I pretty much have the Medart family memorized by now.

 

Copyright © 2014 Michele Simmons Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment