Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Getting the most out of FamilySearch–Intro addendum

Yesterday I said that everything on FamilySearch (FS) is free.   I need to qualify that a bit.  Rhonda, my partner in genealogical crime, emailed me and reminded me of something.  Rhonda works at the local Family History Center (FHC) so she is my go to person for anything FHL/FHC/FS. 

There are links to some records on FS that are actually housed on partner sites.  These are subscription sites.  If you have subscriptions to these sites then no problem.  If you don’t, you will need to visit the FHL, your local FHC, one of the public libraries around the country that has been designated as a FHC, or any public library that has subscriptions to the linked databases and you will be able to access them there.  You can access all of the records for free but some of them you will not be able to view at home unless you have a subscription to that particular site.  Here is a link from FS explaining all of this in greater detail.

Access to Records video at FamilySearch.org (free records and paid sites)

 

Copyright © 2014 Michele Simmons Lewis

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you back on the blog! FamilySearch can be confusing for the novice. I bookmark a link to the United States records and also to the Mississippi records. That saves quite a bit of time when I don't want to search the whole globe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Mississippi, State Archives, Various Records, 1820-1951 is my absolute favorite database on FS :)

    ReplyDelete